He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress and for his children it will be a refuge.
Proverbs 14:26

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Day 112

December 4, 2016

My Facebook rant from this lovely evening...

Summary of last 3+ hours (I should preface by saying that Jason left on a trip last night so the odds are not in my favor).  
4:45- leave home for what COULD be a 30-40 minute outing to pick older girls up from Bible study and take Maddie and friend across town to mall. (if you know Jordan, you would be right in thinking WHY would you think you could go from Rabia across to 7th circle area in that amount of time on Sunday (1st day of the week) evening traffic. Why indeed?) Almost an hour later, arrive at mall and begin journey home. Traffic on this lovely Sunday evening was just awesome.  
6:15- Still in car on way home. Begin to get texts from Naomi who has begun to stay home by herself for short stints (keep in mind please, friends living in America, that it's very different over here- easily accessible neighbors and very helpful building guards). She thought I'd be "right back". I am not yet back.  
6:25 (ish) Attempt to take a "short cut" or at least turn down a road that is moving and puts me at Abdoun circle- not so far from home. Begin heading around the circle only to realize that there is a traffic cop blocking the entrance to the Abdoun bridge that will put me right at 4th circle and so, so very close to home. Observe him move the barricade to let a car through. Pull up to barricade and do what I always do with police men- speak only English begging him to please let me go that way. He begins literally yelling "NO ENGLISH, NO ENGLISH". Switch to Arabic and explain I have left my daughter at home, I don't know how to get home (little white lie) if he won't let me across the bridge, please, please, please please let me through. Obviously quite impressed by my Arabic (eye roll), he begins giving me directions at a rapid fire pace of how I can get to 4th circle from a different way. Tell him I don't understand, please, please, please. Attempt tears which turn out more as a laugh and therefore completely backfire. He begins yelling again and waves me away. I, being very thankful at that moment to only have my eldest with me, begin yelling many things and head back into the horrible traffic I just managed to exit. Begin yelling over text at friends who I know will understand and because, darn it all, I need to yell at more people.  
6:40(ish) Arrive home, hurriedly finish putting up groceries left out 2 hours early when I left and was coming "right back" and realize it's now time to return to mall to pick up Maddie and friend to go home. Grab a handful of Triscuits for dinner (because let's be real, imported Triscuits make an awesome dinner) and head for the door. Begin yelling out instructions to kids left behind and inhale piece of Triscuit. Realize that yes indeedy, I am choking and likely turning purple. Frantically wave at Abbey to heimlich me. As she approaches and wraps arms around me, realize that she has forgotten all her heimlich skills and wave her off as piece of triscuit, thankfully becomes dislodged. Regain color, pick self up off floor, drink water provided by daughter who will soon get a heimlich refresher and realized that Naomi and Anabelle are standing there in tears watching crazy Mommy. Comfort them while running out door to get Maddie. Grab handful of Triscuits still on table to take with me. Abbey says, "mom, should you drive with those?" and tell at her that I AM EATING MY TRISCUITS!!!! Explain to Abbey that next time this happens, she is to call Craig N Jeanna Adams who will talk her through the right way to heimlich mom and to please stop freaking out. She knows better than to argue.  
7:00 Arrive right on time back at mall to pick up Maddie and friend and get home only 45 minutes later (Jordan friends will understand that this should be a 20 minute trek) after stopping to get trash bags which, of course, I realized we were out of after my previous grocery run on this amazing day.  
Amen the end.

And a picture of the traffic was the best I could do this day...


No comments: